Thursday, April 24, 2008

virendar sehwag on sachin

Virender Sehwag

I scored my first international century in Sri Lanka, against New Zealand, in a tri-series match. I was elated, even more so because my team-mates said then that I batted like Sachin Tendulkar.

I wondered what Sachin would have said had he been there. But he had not come to Sri Lanka because of injury. When I reached the hotel, a fax awaited me. It was from Sachin, a congratulatory message, saying that he had enjoyed my innings.

Those were the early days of my career, and that was one of the best of them. I had scored my first century and then got the ultimate praise from my idol. What else could I have asked for? I grew up idolising Sachin. I would watch him on television and try to copy his shots in the house. I believe I have learnt a lot by watching him bat on TV. him, I would always keep a close watch on what he did. Initially, I was not a good player. I improved a lot after taking tips from him.

Until then, I had never known that Sachin was so humble, but I was soon to realise just how down to earth he is. Whenever I have a problem, I go to him. If I became regular member of the Indian team, it was largely because of his help. When I was out of the team, he would keep advising me to never lose hope, and to focus. I've not come across a player who is so inspiring.

I remember I was struggling for runs in Australia. I went to him for advice. He simply said forget everything. “When you bat, think of your father, think of your mother and wife.” The advice worked wonders for me. I got a 40-odd score in that Test. The next Test I played I got 151. That Test was in Perth.

Even in Chennai, he was constantly advising me what to do. I may have got two triple centuries, but I honestly feel Sachin is capable of much bigger scores. Many have said I can break Brian Lara's world record of 400 one day. But I feel among Indian batsmen, Sachin is the one who can break the record.

I have often been told that I look and play like Sachin. I have felt honoured by such comparisons. Being a Sachin clone is an honour in itself.

1 comment:

mimi11460 said...

hello you are like my son after all the hesitation he always made his way on what he wants to be in..just keep up the good work.

Free Blogspot Templates